Wednesday, July 7, 2010

NC and reminiscing

Can I just say, I loved my time in Texas. Truely. Texas has a place in my heart. The state is awesome. Some people say America has no culture, well I challenge them to come to Texas and go to a rodeo, for one thing. There is culture, just not what you might expect.

Anyway.

Yesterday I flew from Huston, Texas to Tennasse (Nashville) to North Carolina.

I had to get up at 6.30am so that Linda could drive me to Huston for my 11.35am flight.

We had lots of time so stopped off at Starbucks - did ya'll know that they can make pretty much any flavour you want - and it doesn't have to be on the menu?

When we got to the airport we were looking at parking only to find the crazy people who had parked on the road blocking everyone! There were people getting mad and tooting. Not very smart...

After checking in my bags I went to security. The line was pretty long but I had lots of time so it was ok. The security people seemed pretty interested in my bags! I almost forgot to pick up my laptop cords because they kept taking my stuff and putting them back through the x-ray, as well as opening my bags.

Anyway, so I eventually got through and had a look around the shops, and then got on the airplane.
Darn those children in the seats behind me. They wouldn't be quiet and kept kicking my chair. I nearly turned around and got mad at them, but I just gave them the evils instead. I think they got the point. ;)

Nashville was cool - just like how I'd expect. People with guitars everywhere and music. I thought it was neat. :)

The flight from there to NC was only 1.5hours! I thought it was going to be much longer.

I got a hit out of observing the scenery from my window seat. I got all scarily geography-fied. I mean I was pointing out the tributaries and lakes and meanders and everything! Why I was so fascinated by the landscape, I have no clue. I guess because it was just so different to what I know. Are you proud, Mrs O? :)

When we got near Raliegh/Durham airport we were descending to land, and then all of a sudden we were going back up. There's something not quite right about that! I thought. Turns out we weren't cleared to land and so we had to do a loops and try again. Luckily the next time we could land. It was a strange experience though.

I was pretty tired after all that, but didn't sleep too well last night. This place has the most ANNOYING grandfather clock. It chimes loudly (outside my door) every 15mins. ...so I wanted to smash it to tiny little pieces!!

Today was pretty relaxing. Just shopped and met lots of fun southern folk. I also sent some letters. :P We had sushi for lunch which I loved cos it felt so lovely and healthy. :D

My leg virus flared up again :( so I had to try get something to help that. The benedryl clear cream seemed to actually work (antihestimines work for about 3 hours it appears :/ ). So hurrah. :)

In the evening we played scrabble - guess who won. haha.
I was surrounded by 3 little ones and man, were they a handful! Suprisingly they didn't stress me out too much, and I think since I was new I was sort of the main attraction for them. In any case, I survived that without a scratch, which some might say is impressive..

Tomorrow we are going to Carrowinds! Yay for themeparks. It's a baby park, but I'm up for any themepark, any day!


Random thought - I'd have to say that when I first came here on June 29, I had this perception that Americans were quite insular and not so geography aware. However, I'd have to say I've been impressed by the knowledge of Texans in regards to New Zealand! Every person who I talked to knew where NZ was. Possibly it's a regional difference, but yes. Americans cannot be lumped into such categories. There is just such a huge range of people here.


Anyway, I'm super tired,
Catch ya'll later

xx

3 comments:

  1. I'll use you as a testimonial as to why you MUST study Geography :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey there at last I can comment!!! your very tecno incompetent aunt!!! sounds like you are having a wonderful time...loving keeping up with all the adventures lots of love anita :)xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, go you! So proud of you ;)

    I am having a blast!
    Thanks for following!

    xx

    ReplyDelete